June 15, 2018
10 Little Known Minnesota Lake Facts!
1. Minnesota is the “Land of 10,000 Lakes”, however there are 11,842 lakes in Minnesota.
2. Minnesota has more than 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined!
3. The longest stretch of Minnesota shoreline is on Lake Vermillion with over 290 miles.
4. Minnesota is home of the LARGEST lake in the nation… Lake Superior.
5. The sport of waterskiing was invented in Lake City, Minnesota on Lake Pepin.
6. The most common lake name is Mud Lake. There are 261 Mud Lakes in Minnesota.
7. There are 6,564 natural rivers and streams which is equivalent to 69,200 miles.
8. There are only 4 counties with no natural lakes: Mower, Olmsted, Pipestone, and Rock.
9. The largest lake other than Lake Superior in Minnesota is Red Lake (Upper and Lower), which is 288,800 acres.
10. There are 949 lakes in the Twin Cities Metro Area.